Portal password requirements
Your password for your portal account must be between 10–24 characters and contain at least:
- 1 number
- 1 uppercase letter
- 1 lowercase letter.
Your password must not contain your name.
Using a unique password is important to secure your online account against criminal activity and unauthorised access such as scammers.
Creating a unique password
A strong password:
- is more than 10 characters long.
- uses a combination of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters
- does not relate to your personal details (such as family names, birth dates, pet names)
- does not include recognisable words – (deliberate misspellings or substituted characters strengthen passwords)
- is one you can remember.
When you register for access to the portal or update an existing password we will check that your password meets our password requirements. We will prompt you to change it if it does not meet our minimum standard.
Changing your password
Changing your password periodically is a good way to protect your online account. As a guide you should change your password between 1 and 4 times a year. If you are concerned about the security of your password due to, for example, a suspicious email or you think someone may have access to it:
- change it immediately
- change it on all sites/accounts it is used.
For more information on creating and managing password and online safety, please visit the Australian Governments Stay Smart Online website.